Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Australian Breast Cancer and Immigration


I haven’t blogged for the last few days as I have been finishing off the last assignment of a course. I have also been preparing for a job interview, as a result of which I am now a charge nurse (which is what they call a male sister). I’ve been qualified for eighteen years, so nobody can accuse me of being cursed with an over abundance of ambition.

I had supper with some friends tonight to celebrate. One of these is a fellow nurse, who is off to Oz soon to work for a year at Melbourne Children’s Hospital. As part of her visa requirements she has had to undergo a two hour medical, in which every part of her anatomy has been palpated and every orifice intimately probed. Apparently this is required because the Australian success rate in the treatment of breast cancer (among many other diseases) is now so much better then ours that people with recently diagnosed breast cancer are trying to move to Oz for the better treatment.

I’m deeply saddened that the quality of treatment for breast cancer in this country is falling behind other countries. Personally I blame an NHS philosophy which puts more emphasis on equality of access to health care, however poor that care is, than seeking to raise standards across the board, even if the result is some degree of inequality. I believe that once you stop putting quality top of your list of priorities you're lost. Anyway, as they say, a rising tide raises all boats.

But I’m more struck by the robustness of Australian immigration policy. So clear are they that it’s wrong for Australian taxpayers to be taken advantage of, for taxpayers money to be spent treating people who haven’t contributed to their own care, and who are in the country primarily to take advantage of the health care system, that they make real and vigorous attempts to prevent this happning. I’d like to know if we do the same. Does anyone know?

3 Comments:

Blogger AndrewD said...

A friend of mine has a neighbour who visits about twice a year, in order to go to our local NHS hospital and get treatment for his MS. His wife also needs treatment for some cancer or other, I don't enquire about the details.

They are Canadians.

12:49 pm  
Anonymous Breast Cancer Bracelet said...

Hi,
While I was searching through Blogger I came past your site, it is not really the information I was after about breast cancer statistics but I did stay to read your blog and found it interesting and well done. Keep up the good work and hopefully I will visit again sometime and also find the information on breast cancer statistics that I was looking for in my travels.
Regards,Regards,

10:29 pm  
Blogger NewsBlogger said...

Hello, I like to contact you! My name is James F Hamilton,
By my SEARCHING out FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION about lung cancer I have found your site.
I was looking out for lung cancer related information. Sorry, I have see that your Australian Breast Cancer and Immigration isn't a perfect match. But, anyway, I am glad I have stopped by even though this isn’t a perfect match. What you have in your content is very interesting for most people.
I like to set up a link to you. What you think about?
It does will be a pleasure, if you contact me. Perhaps we have some same ideas. Wish you success with your site.

Fritz

9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com