Thursday, July 29, 2004

A Bad Week to Start Blogging

I've chosen a bad week to start blogging because I have the final assignment for a diploma due in this week. I could have written three assignments in the time spent setting this site up and posting views, although I've enjoyed doing both. I was going to post a view on capital punishment following the murdered schoolboy incident at the weekend, but Peter Cuthbertson has raised the same issue and most of what I would have commented on here I have said there. I'll try and come back to the issue later. There's not much to add to what Peter said other than to point out that the minimum sentence  of thirteen years awarded to Shahajan Kabir yesterday, for murdering his infant son Hassan, represents less than his son's childhood, let alone his life.

My assignment is on the treatment of HM prisoners in NHS hospitals, particularly in relation to the operating theatre where I work. As such I visited my local catagory C nick to talk to nurses there, fortunately in more favourable circumstances than Richard North. Prisoners are now treated by NHS staff, whether inside prison or out; until recently when in prison they were treated by Prison Officers with variable amounts of nursing experience. The new system isn't national yet, and there are still many, many problems. I will be commenting on these shortly. However, it remains my conviction that treating prisoners humanely is not incompatible with proportionate justice for murder.


3 Comments:

Blogger Laban said...

Have a read of Theodore Dalrymple's item on how prisoners must be addressed as "Mr" (an a male prison)by nursing staff, who are otherwise encouraged to call 'civilian' patients by their first names.

http://www.city-journal.org/html/eon_7_11_02td.html

6:47 pm  
Blogger James F Hamilton said...

I'm a big fan of Theodore Dalrymple. I'm looking forward to reading more of his writing now I know where to find it.

10:05 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is because items in a front pocket might slide out or irritate a biker every time they lean forwardIf you don't speak up, they'll most likely use a clipper Files should never be left out in the open or in a readily accessible location I selected Wallet Prints and entered 9 for the Next and it prints
The bottom line to think about while preparing your home for the new puppy is, just like a baby, they will require cuddling, attention and there will obviously be a lot of wet kisses!Eric Shannon is a freelance author who also publishes the Dog Lovers Report, which is a biweekly newsletter with a very large readershipA Reference List of all the candidate's schools, employers, congregations, and religious supervisors over the last five years"Is this the particular NFL thatjordan white Jersey will players would like?" Goodell wrote At the end you are ready to go homeA friend shared that the 2 words people so commonly say on their death beds is Oh Sh**! Elizabeth Kubler Ross said and at the end of your life you will say what the great majority of people say to me when I sit at their death bed, with great grief and sadness I have made a living, but I have never lived

[url=http://www.newyorkgiantsteamproshop.com/]Jason Pierre-Paul Giants Jersey[/url]
[url=http://www.seahawksnflprostore.com/]Marshawn Lynch Women's Jersey[/url]

They don't know when something is dangerous or can't tell if that interesting remote control will get them into trouble Once those training priorities have been set, stick to themWhen our GOD will respect our Free Will, why aren't we humans respecting each other's Free Will? In many instances we have been raped of our Free Will by the many limitations which are inflicted upon us every day More than t-shirts or other types of MMA apparel, an MMA jersey is considered a personal item that incorporates the personality of a fan or competitor when he walks out in public

[url=http://officialsteelersteamprostore.com/]Ben Roethlisberger Jersey[/url]

10:17 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Guestbook from Bravenet.com